Friday, July 20, 2012

Review: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter
Ebook, 216 pages
Published May 1st 2011 by Harlequin Teen
Source: Purchased
Buy the book: Amazon : B&N : Goodreads
From Goodreads:
EVERY GIRL WHO HAS TAKEN THE TEST HAS DIED.

NOW IT'S KATE'S TURN.

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.

IF SHE FAILS...
 I loved the premise of this book. A friend had told me about it because they knew I loved mythology and usually appreciate creative revamps of them. This was definitely the case with The Goddess Test.
The leading lady, Kate, has to be one of the strongest and selfless protagonist I have ever encountered. The life she has led has not been easy and it appears to not be getting any better. I wept when I read scenes about her mother or the interactions between them. It was so dear and so like how my own mother and I were during her final days. If you had a strong relationship with your mother, be prepared for your heartstrings to be pulled in every way possible. 
Then she meets Ava and Henry and her life changes forever. The "tests" she endures are very fitting, even those she did not realize she was being tested with. I will admit I am not very fond of Henry at this point. He's a good character, but at this point he over does the "broody" part. I really liked the fact that this was not a typical love at first sight story. The path that their relationship and plot line aren't immediately stated. It gives the reader time to get to know the characters and grow with them. It is not a slow growth though. The book carries at a steady speed and you will be at the end before you know it.

1 comments:

Karis Jacobstein said...

This book was a lot better than I expected it to be. I found myself really digging in. The next book is really great too! I'll be reviewing book 2.5, The Goddess Legacy, over the next couple of weeks. It is each of the other gods/goddesses stories, and I'm really excited to learn more about them. Great review!

Karis @ YA Litwit

Post a Comment