Saturday, September 29, 2012

Review: Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen

Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen
ebook, 304 pages
Published June 1st 2012 by Harlequin Teen
Source: NetGalley, ARC
Buy the book: Amazon : B&N : Goodreads
From Goodreads:
Smart, über-careful, ordinary Samantha—that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me…something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing—and I don't know if I can get it back.

Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me….

 I could not wait to see how Rowen wrapped a story around her take on the angel and demon concepts. It is really a different look compared to many others that are on the market right now. The story and plot fall into place beautifully. They have just enough of action, romance, and intrigue to keep you interested and the story flowing. There were a couple of things that seemed odd or inconsistent at times, but they are too spoilery to put on here. Trust me, you'll recognize what I am talking about when you read it. It would also be nice if locations were shaken up some. It seemed everything happened in one or two spots. Otherwise, the characters follow a somewhat predictable path, but the twists that Rowen puts on the angel/demon lore make it worth while. It is one of those books that blurs the lines significantly and makes you wonder if you have ever been told the truth about them before...I love this way of thinking and writing in a book.

The characters were hit or miss with me. Sam is pretty straight up front: ordinary girl that turns extraordinary. There were times I couldn't completely connect with her, but for the most part she is an enjoyable character. I did get really tired of her being called "special." For the love of all that is holy, calm that down please... Bishop is a great character and love interest, but he and Sam's relationship seems so typical and contrived in an otherwise distinctive story. He needs to be brought up a notch or two in the bravery part as well. If this would happen I think I could fall for him on another level. However, Kraven was definitely my fav character in this book. He's snarky yet serious and has wonderful good and bad sides that make you want to hug him one minute and slap him the next. Rowen, if anything slows down in the story just insert one or two lines from him and it will make the scene! I hope that we can learn more about the characters in the next book. It feels like we just got the basics in this one. I think it would greatly help both with connecting with them and totally immersing the reader into this awesome story.

0 comments:

Post a Comment