Thursday, July 14, 2011

Review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
Hardcover, 323 pages
Published March 2nd 2010 by Hyperion Book CH
Source: eBook, purchased
Buy the Book: Amazon : B&N : Goodreads

From Goodreads:

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.
Boarding schools, misfit main character, and magic....how could that combination not be great, right? Well, that's exactly what this story is! Hawkins waits no time to snag the reader from the very first page of the book. Sophie has issues just like any other teen and this makes her really likable by a majority of readers. However, she also has some pretty major magical issues on top of this. It is this combination that beckons for the readers attention to see how she deals with the day to day life and issues that is thrown at her. Hawkins' humor and wit are superb with Sophie! There were many times that I caught myself laughing because I was either thinking that I would say that same thing in that situation or caught off guard for the fact that I had not thought of that! This bits scattered throughout the book and a great story kept me addicted to the end.

The idea behind this book reflects on real life examples. This concept is why it appeals so greatly to many people. These characters are all teens that deal with similar, if not identical, issues as non-magical teens. They have experimented, fought amongst themselves, and even skipped class. The only difference with these teens is the fact that there are more serious consequences for stepping out of line and it can only take one incident to be sent to "alternate" school. Hecate "Hex" Hall is the result of the ill-minded actions of these magical teens. The situations and issues they deal with before and after arriving at the school are so familiar to things I've seen and experienced it would have been difficult to not finish this book. The plot flows so well I could not have anyways. There are equal opportunities through it for action, heartbreak, happiness, and my favorite in this book, sarcasm. Combine all this and it makes a plot that does not short-change the reader in any form.

The characters are really well written in my opinion. I realize that this is just my opinion, but the personalities of these characters are so real to me. Each has their own issues and attributes that are fairly balanced and interestingly spread out through the group. While I usually do relate to at least one character in a book, it is not often that it is the main character. Sophie experiences many situations that I could honestly view happening to me. Many times I thought to myself, "Yep, that's exactly what would have happened to me and that is exactly what I would have said." This girl has been through so much and she uses sarcasm to come to terms with it all. Yes, that is all too familiar for me. Combine that with the outball friend and a crush on the most impossible guy to get and you get my high school education. There is a true friendship between Sophie and Jenna. Their understanding of what it is to be a friend and what to/what not to put up with has great balance, making them a solid force against the world around them. Archer is a whole other aspect of Sophie's life. This relationship enhances the plot so well. The ups, downs, and twists absolutely shape and shift it in all the right directions.

Overall the book was definitely a win-win for me. The intricate combination of the characters personalities, different perspective of subject matter and Hawkins' superb writing makes this an amazing experience for all that would read it.



7 comments:

Sidne said...

stopping by to read reviews. I'm not big on magical readers but the storyline sounds interesting.

Anna said...

Wow! I was looking at reading this, but I decided not to. I'll definitely need to pick it up now!

Nikki said...

It's definitely worth checking out. Even you just get it from the library first I can about guarantee that you'll be buying it soon after!

Gina @ My Precious said...

I loved Hex Hall. I wanted to read it forever and finally borrowed a kindle copy from Ebookflings.

I now am excited to read Demonglass, but I hear it ends on big ole cliffhanger. I'm almost tempted to wait until book three appears.

What are your thoughts.?

Lisa said...

Great review! I loved this series so so much :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog hop!

Erin W. said...

I loved this book!

New follower.

Bonnie said...

This was an absolutely fantastic review. I have really been looking forward to reading Hex Hall, I'm glad to see you enjoyed it so much!

Bonnie @ HandsAndHome

Post a Comment