Saturday, July 30, 2011

Review: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
Hardcover, 496 pages
Published May 31st 2011 by HarperTeen
Source: Borrowed from friend
Buy the book: Amazon : B&N : Goodreads

From Goodreads:

How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.
The synopsis alone begged me to read this one. I love books that include Greek mythology and that author's take on it. I am a purist by heart, but I love the fresh perspectives that the alternative stories take. Now granted, there have been a few that I have read or did not finish because it just felt...wrong. Fortunately for me, this book was not one of those. Starcrossed brings to life the story of Helen Hamilton and Lucas Delos, a demigod lifestyle with the twists of being a teen.

The book drew me in from page one. Immediately I met the main character and got a great, but not too extensive, view of her life. I could relate in many ways since I come from small town setting as well. Everyone knows everyone's business, half the time before you do yourself. I could tell through her actions and feelings that she has always been different and restraint has always been a constant battle for her in many aspects of her life. And then Lucas Delos walks into the scene. I can't say much due to possibly giving too much away, but this is NOT your typical relationship. If you are expecting the typical teen "he-walks-in-and-we-are-in-love" romance setting, you are going to be disappointed. It is for this reason I love their relationship. Demigod issues aside, it feels like a real relationship and not one girls just dream of. Combined with a story line that flows well and has the right amount and balance of drama and twists, it will leave you intrigued until you put it down. I really liked the perspective Angelini takes on Greek mythology and how she incorporated it in their lives. It was very entertaining and thought inducing. There are some of their powers that I honestly wish I could have. With Angelini's writing, it felt like I could actually be part of that world because it really did exist.

The characters in this book are very genuine, what you see is what you get with them. Helen goes through many typical teen issues about feeling accepted personally and academically. Add in the demigod problems and it is a very overwhelming mixture for her. However, she takes this in bounds and leaps and trudges through the challenges with determination. Lucas shakes this quite considerably in many ways. The path they ride is explosive, but it fuels the reader into wanting more. I could even say this book supports family and friend values. Their supporting family and friends play intricate rolls in their lives, and like family it can be either good or bad. This is a little unusual for me, but I like it. I am used to seeing a few main supporting characters, but I have not seen this amount in a while. Each has a different part to play for Helen and Lucas and they affect the storyline just as much as the main characters.

This will be a book that I keep on my shelves and re-read later, it is that good. I occasionally do this, but it usually takes a really outstanding book. I cannot wait to see where this story goes and what the outcome for our heroes will be!

2 comments:

Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

After reading your review I am definitely adding this to my list.
Book Sniffers Anonymous

Kristina said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed Starcrossed. I was half way into it, when I decided to stop reading it. I just couldn't get into it. Maybe one day I will pick it up again.

Thanks for visiting my follow friday and following me, I am now following you back!

Kristina

Post a Comment